This is a tasty recipe that I’ve fallen in love with. We often eat them with my yummy home-made crispy fries. You can easily double the recipe to serve several people.
A Few Tips:
- Use a crusty bread to keep it from becoming soggy & gummy.
- A marbled roast like chuck or sirloin makes a tender, flavorful beef.
- Adding Swiss cheese and caramelized onions will add depth to your sandwich.
Au Jus mixes come in many brands. I’ve used several and enjoy Pioneer best. It has a smooth taste instead of a bitter one. Of course, that’s just my opinion!
Easy Crock-Pot French Dip
Roast beef, Au Jus and crusty bread!
- Vegetable or Olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 3 pound Beef roast -a nice marbled roast like chuck
- 1 1 oz. Packet dry Au Jus mix
- 1 cup Water
- 29 ounce Beef broth -2 cans or 1 big box
- 8 Hoagie rolls -crusty but not too crusty!
- 8 Slices Swiss chees -always serve melted!
- Small Onion -cook & carmelize
Remove any fat on the roast. Tenderize roast using fork - stab repeatedly covering the entire roast. Rub oil into roast and LIGHTLY sprinkle garlic and onion powder over oil. Rub in.
Place the roast into a crock pot. Stir water, broth and au jus mix together; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
Remove roast from crock pot. Shred roast; return to crock pot. Cook roast for 1/2 hour on high.
While roast simmers, open hoagie rolls. Butter each side and place on baking sheet, butter side up. Broil for 3 minutes until toasted. Watch for burning!
Place beef on toasted bread. Add a slice of Swiss cheese, if using (toast in toaster oven or low temperature oven). Serve with broth from the crock-pot.