A couple of years ago my husband came home from his new job and told me about the chili cook-off that is held there every year. I was intrigued but I had one problem. I don’t like chili. Not too surprising, huh?
So I set out to study chili recipes and Three Bean Shredded Beef Chili is what I came up with. We swept the awards that year, winning People’s Choice & the Top Prize. You can see a picture of my hubby with his prize below the recipe. Unfortunately he kept
my his plaque at work.
This award winning chili takes time to properly make but is well worth the effort. It makes a huge batch of chili and is easy to add different beans, and more spices, etc. The spice temperature of this is around medium and is flavorful enough to be tasty, but not too spicy to burn.
HOW THIS RECIPE WAS CREATED:
- My mom recommended three or four bean types.
- My husband wanted several pepper types.
- A website recommended dry roasting the seasoning before adding to the pot.
- To make the chili different from the other entries, I decided to use shredded beef instead of ground beef.
SELECTIVE EATING: Chili with beans, onions, chilies, peppers, and/or tomatoes sounds perfectly dreadful! I will eat Nalley Big Chunk, No Bean Chili out of the Northwest. I suppose I should make a recipe for myself.
Three Bean Shredded Beef Chili
- 2 lbs. Beef Top Round Roast
- 2 Cans Beef Broth
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- 16 oz. Can Dark Kidney Beans
- 16 oz. Can Light Kidney Beans
- 16 oz. Can White or Black beans
- 32 oz. Canned Whole or Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1-2 Small Cans Green Chilies
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp. Allspice
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper *optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Poke holes all over roast with a fork. Rub olive oil on roast. Rub with onion powder, garlic powder and pepper. Place in Dutch oven. Pour broth into pan. Cover and cook 2-3 hours or until tender.
Remove roast from pan allow to cool. Discard broth reserving 1/2 Cup.
While roast cools, dice and prepare vegetables. Drain and rinse beans. Shred roast into bite size pieces when it is cool enough.
Place chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and allspice in dry saute pan on medium heat. Stir spices until you can smell a difference. Remove from heat.
Put 1/2 cup of reserved broth on shredded beef. Add chili powder/cumin mixture. Stir beef, broth & spices, working broth & spices into the beef.
Put all ingredients into a crock pot or large pot on oven. CROCK POT: Simmer 8-10 hours on low setting. STOVE: Simmer 8 hours on low heat.
Do not be tempted to add water! The vegetables will naturally provide moisture as the chili cooks.