One of my favorite desserts growing up was my Mom’s Apple Crisp. When I married my husband he fell in love with it too. It’s sweet with a hint of tart. My husband likes it warm with a side of ice cream. I like cooled down when the topping has “crisped.”
This Apple Crisp does not have oats in it, which is one of the reasons I like it. I enjoy a hot steaming bowl of oatmeal and a nice struesel on a Dutch Apple Pie but I prefer my Crisp like this.
My grandparents proudly owned an apple orchard in Washington state. We lived next door to them until I was 7, so I was surrounded by apples. I spent many days following behind my grandpa while he did his work. I learned about smudge pots and frost warnings before I could tie my shoes. It was a huge place full of mysteries and many places to hide.
As you can imagine, apples were a large part of our lives. We ate apple pie, apple juice, applesauce, applesauce cake, apples, apples, apples, apples! Even now my kitchen and dining room are decorated with apples.
For apples that hold up their shape and have a good taste when baking, I recommend Jonathans and Jonagolds, Honeycrisps, Granny Smiths, Braeburns, and Galas. Don’t be afraid to mix them up either. You’ll create a vivid new taste for your mouth!
This delicious, oats free apple crisp makes the perfect dessert for the whole family.
- 7-8 Medium Apples, peeled, cored & sliced
- 1/2 - 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 2/3 Cups Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add sliced apples to pan. I use a smaller 7"x11" baking dish. This fills the apples to the top of the pan.
- Sprinkle sugar & cinnamon on top of the apples. I use a full cup of sugar but they might be too sweet for some people.
- Mix the flour and 1 cup sugar together. Cut the butter into the mixture using a pastry mixer or a fork. The mixture should end up looking crumbly. Add the mixture to the top of the apples.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Can be served warm with ice cream.
This post may or may not have been linked at these Fabulous Parties!