This is a tasty recipe that I’ve fallen in love with. We often eat them with my yummy home-made crispy fries. You can easily double the recipe to serve several people.
My advice is to use the actual canned beef broth instead of bullion made. I prefer the difference.
Au Jus mixes come in many brands. I’ve used several and enjoy Pioneer best. It has a smooth taste instead of a bitter one. Of course, that’s just my opinion!
- Vegetable or Olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 3 pound Beef roast (Top Round or Sirloin roast tasted best.)
- 1 - 1 oz. Packet dry Au Jus mix
- 1 cup Water
- 29 ounce Beef broth (2 cans or 1 box)
- 8 Hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- Remove any fat on the roast. Tenderize roast using fork - stab repeatedly covering the entire roast. Rub oil into roast and LIGHTLY sprinkle garlic and onion powder over oil. Rub in.
- Place the roast into a crock pot. Stir water, broth and au jus mix together; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove roast from crock pot. Shred roast into bite size pieces; return to crock pot. Cook roast for 1/2 hour on high.
- While roast simmers, open hoagie rolls. Butter each side and place on baking sheet, butter side up. Broil for 3-5 minutes until toasted. Watch for burning!
- Place beef on toasted bread. Add a slice of Swiss and melt in microwave if using. Serve with broth from the crock-pot.
This post may or may not have been linked at these Fabulous Parties!