Barbecue Bacon Dogs were created for my hubby during our Valenversary weekend. These are made with hot dogs, bacon, cheese, barbecue aioli sauce, peppers and onions. Sounds manly to me! I served these with my delicious Homemade Crispy Fries.
If you’re unfamiliar with aioli sauce, it is a garlic-flavored mayonnaise. When added to barbecue sauce it becomes a mouthwatering combination. You’ll soon be trying to come up with other recipes to use barbecue aioli on.
Barbecue Bacon Dogs are pretty fattening and definitely not a weekly meal. However, you can make some adjustments to make it slightly healthier. Try using turkey hot dogs & turkey bacon, fat free mayonnaise and a lighter cheese.
Or how about a few other fattening combinations:
- Try bratwurst or sausage instead of hot dogs.
- Add jalapeno to the onion & peppers for some kick.
- Add paprika, cayenne pepper or red pepper to your aioli sauce for heat.
SELECTIVE EATING: I ate a slightly different version. Yes, you guessed it. No peppers and onions for this selective eater.
Barbecue Bacon Dogs
- 10 Hot Dogs or Bratwurst
- Hot Dog Buns
- 10 Slices Precooked Bacon
- Sliced Cheddar or Pepper-jack Cheese
- 1 Medium Green Pepper, sliced
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Barbecue Aioli Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Place a slit in each hot dog, leaving a 1/2 inch at each end. Insert sliced cheese (see picture).
- Wrap the hot dog with a slice of pre-cooked bacon. Secure with a toothpick if needed.
- Mix aioli sauce and store in refrigerator until time to serve.
- Grill 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bacon and hot dog are hot. Saute peppers and onions in oil until softened.
- When hot dogs are ready, place each in a hot dog bun, spread Aioli sauce and top with peppers & onions.