Burritos are one of my favorite snacks, lunches, late night meals. They are meal that ALL of my family can agree on. All six kids! Well, we prefer different styles but making them tailored for each of us is a breeze.
Freezer Burritos can be customized to your preferences and taste delicious. The hubby prefers “the works” in his burrito – meat, beans, rice, onions, peppers, tomatoes. Most of that are foods that my daughter and I won’t eat! So we prefer a nice mellow bean & cheese version.
The burritos can be cooked in the microwave, wrapped in paper towels. Three and a half minutes are perfect for two in my microwave. I use my Mexican Seasoning because I prefer the taste but you can use a packet of taco seasoning.
On a side note: My hubby has taken these as his lunch for years. I whip up meals with rice & beans. I try to make them as fast as possible. So I use boxed Spanish rice and canned refried beans. You can certainly use homemade.
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Box Spanish/Mexican Rice
- 1-16 oz. Can Refried Beans
- 3 Tablespoons Mexican Seasoning
- 1-14.5 oz. Tomato Sauce
- 1-14.5 oz. Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Green Pepper
- 1 Medium Onion
- 16 oz. Cheddar Cheese
- 12-16 Burrito Sized Tortillas
- Brown ground beef; drain. Cook rice according to directions. Cook onions & peppers until softened.
- Add refried beans, tomato sauce and Mexican seasoning to the ground beef; mix well. Add diced tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
- Remove from heat and set mixture aside. Allow to cool for 30 minutes. When mixture is cooled, heat tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add ingredients to center of tortilla, top with cheese.
- Roll tortillas and place flat on a cookie sheet. (How to Roll Burritos) Place tray of burritos in freezer for an hour to flash freeze.
- Wrap burritos securely in plastic wrap, foil or wax paper. (I prefer plastic wrap.)
- Store burritos in a Ziploc baggie, labelled with date & reheating instructions.
- REHEATING- Frozen: Remove wrapper, wrap in paper towel, microwave for 3 minutes, add 30 seconds for additional burrito. Thawed: Remove wrapper, wrap in paper towel, microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, add 30 seconds for additional burrito.