Chicken Noodle Casserole is the perfect comfort food on a cold day. This casserole is a creamy noodle confection with a buttery, crunchy topping.
We enjoy it year round and you can easily spruce it up or down! I’m not gonna lie, I like to double the amount of crackers I use for some serious crunch factor.
Chicken Noodle Casserole makes a nice dish for a potluck. You can add veggies to make it a more complete meal. Use fat-free or light soups and sour cream to make it healthier. The casserole will taste just as good.
Also, this recipes makes a tasty freezer meal!
FREEZER MEAL INSTRUCTIONS: Double the Chicken Noodle Casserole recipe and put the second meal in a freezable casserole dish such as Glad Ovenware.
Allow the meal to cool before sealing the lid. When you are ready to serve the dish, thaw the meal in the refrigerator. Cook for 30 minutes on 350º or until baked all the way through. Just a note, fresh mushrooms do not freeze well.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 1 Skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 6 oz Egg noodles
- 1 can Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can Condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 Cup Crumbled Ritz crackers
- 1/2 Cup Margarine
- 8 oz Canned or fresh mushrooms
- 8 oz Canned or frozen peas
- 8 oz Canned or frozen carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Poach chicken in a large pot of simmering water. Cook until no longer pink center, about 12 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. Reserve water.
- Bring reserved water to a boil and cook pasta in it. Drain. Cut chicken into small bite sized pieces, and add to noodles. Mix in peas, carrots and/or mushrooms if desired.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mushroom soup, chicken soup, sour cream and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Gently add cream mixture with the chicken mixture. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan, and remove from heat. Stir in crumbled Ritz crackers. Top casserole with the cracker mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until heated through and browned on top.