Rainbow Popcorn looks pretty .. seriously, who doesn’t like rainbows? It tastes like fruity pebbles .. and again .. seriously, who doesn’t like fruity pebbles? It’s also easy to make! Although, it does take a few hours to complete if you’re making several batches for a bake sale.
The following recipe will make enough for you and your family to eat. If you’d like to bag it up for a bake sale, you will need to make the recipe 4 times to make about 24 2-cup bags. I used the little treat baggies that you can buy in the party section of Walmart.
Rainbow Popcorn – Mix up the colors
I used up all my Jello while making my batches which made for lots of different colors. You need only use the four basic colors to have a pretty rainbow (Berry Blue, Cherry, Lemon, Lime). You can, of course, mix it up however you like. For Christmas, I use Raspberry, Cherry, Watermelon, Lime, and Jolly Rancher Green Apple.
Lastly, you can skip drying the popcorn in the oven to make popcorn balls. After mixing your syrup mixture with the popcorn, mix all your popcorn together and make balls.
- 16 Cups Popcorn
- 4 3 oz. Packages Jello -Cherry, Lime, Lemon, Berry Blue
- 8 Tbsp. Butter, divided
- 6 Tbsp. Light Corn Syrup, divided
- 1 Cup Sugar, divided
- Food Coloring
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Prepare two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Pop the popcorn, removing as many of the kernels as possible.
- Separate popcorn into four large containers - 4 cups each.
- Place four pots on your burners (or do 2 at a time). Add 2 1/2 tablespoons Jello, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup, and 1/4 cup sugar to each pot. Mix and heat over low heat.
- Heat and stir until mixtures start to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add food coloring to help brighteneach one.
- Pour each color into a bowl of popcorn. Do NOT scrape bottom of pots. Toss popcorn to coat.
- Spread popcorn on half of prepared baking sheet. Repeat for each color.
- Place both sheets of popcorn in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Watch lighter colors, as they will brown.
- Dump popcorn onto parchment. Allow to cool. Break up clumps. Place all in a large bowl and mix
I paid $3 for mine but they are .75 cents right now (9/10/18).